MAT (Management Aptitude Test) is a national level entrance exam conducted for admission to MBA and other management programs in various B-schools in India. The exam assesses the candidate’s aptitude in areas such as language comprehension, mathematical skills, data analysis and sufficiency, intelligence and critical reasoning, and Indian and global environment.
The MAT exam is conducted by the All India Management Association four times a year. Over 600 business schools in India accept the MAT scores. There are five key sections in the MAT 2023 Revised Syllabus. There will be three testing modes in the MAT 2023 exam. PBT, CBT, and IBT are the three testing modes of the 2023 MAT exam.
The five parts in the MAT 2023 syllabus are as follows:
Mathematical Syllabus for MAT 2023
Candidates can ace this section if they study all the concepts well. Practicing problem-solving skills will increase their speed, crucial to this test. This section focuses on some basic mathematics up to HSC.
The ability to carry out mental calculations speedily will significantly help solve the questions in this section. Candidates can expect texts, graphs, Venn diagrams, tables, and charts in this section. Candidates should practice average, ratio-proportion, geometry, percentage, and trigonometry to score maximum marks in this section.
In brief these are important topics for MAT exam Mathematics syllabus:
- Ratios and Proportions
- In-equations and Equations
- Quadratic and Linear Equations
Data Analysis & Sufficiency Syllabus for MAT 2023
The objective of this section is to test the candidate’s analytical skills. Candidates should have knowledge of tabular forms, line charts, mixed graphs, pie graphs, and bar graphs. Practising sample papers and mock tests will help the candidates to figure out the questions in this section.
They can also get an idea about the strategies and techniques required to solve this section. The candidate’s ability to interpret the given data is crucial to this section. Candidates have to answer questions based on the data.
In brief these are important topics for MAT Data Analysis & Sufficiency syllabus:
- Data Interpretation based on text
- Graphs and Charts
- Venn Diagrams
- Tables and Caselets
- Pie Chart
- Bar Graphs
- Line Graphs
Language Comprehension Syllabus for MAT 2023
This is one of the easiest sections of this test. Candidates with good language and grammar knowledge will find it easy to score marks in this section. The questions are asked from sub-topics like sentence completion, reading comprehension, finding errors, critical reasoning, and verbal analogies. Candidates will also find questions based on para jumbles, sentence rearrangement, and sentence correction & grammar.
In brief these are important topics for MAT Language & Comprehension syllabus:
- Reading Comprehension
- Verbal Reasoning
- Antonyms and Synonyms
- Fill in the blanks
- Jumbled paragraphs
- Sentence Correction
Intelligence and Critical Reasoning Syllabus for MAT 2023
Most candidates find this section to be the most difficult in the paper. Acing this section requires speed as there are several time-consuming sets in this section. Plenty of practice will help the candidates to improve their speed.
Series, direction sense, verbal reasoning, calendar, and blood relation are just some sub-topics in this section. This section carries 20% weight-age in the MAT syllabus.
In brief these are important topics for MAT Intelligence & Critical Reasoning syllabus:
- Critical Reasoning
- Assertion and Reasons
- Identifying valid inferences
- Statements and Conclusions
- Identifying Arguments
- Cause and Effect
Indian and Global Environment Syllabus for MAT 2023
Many candidates find this section very easy. This is a GK section and does not require too much analysis or number crunching. Just staying abreast of the latest happenings can help candidates clear this section.
The candidates can subscribe to newspapers, monthly magazines, and news alerts to increase their GK. This section has questions based on economy, business, polity, sports, and history.
In brief these are important topics for MAT Indian & Global Environment syllabus:
- Current Affairs
- Social Issues
- Business and Economic Awareness
- Awards and Records
- International organizations
The MAT 2023 Paper pattern
The exam duration is two hours and thirty minutes. There are 200 questions in the exam paper. There is a negative marking, and candidates get -0.25 for every wrong answer. The questions are Multiple Choice Questions(MCQs). The candidates get a +1 mark for every right answer.
Tips and Tricks to complete the MAT Syllabus 2023
- Dividing the syllabus based on difficulty level can ease your preparation
- Most management entrance syllabi are similar. If there are overlapping subjects, then you can schedule your preparation accordingly.
- MAT exam questions are rarely repeated. Practising MAT sample papers and mock tests will give you an idea about the type of questions to expect.
- The official website of AIMA carries sample questions and answers. Going through this website will help you to understand the question paper pattern and the level of difficulty involved in solving them.
- Creating a strategy beforehand will help you clear MAT easily.
- Time management is crucial while attempting MAT, as 200 questions have to be solved in 150 minutes.
- The individual sections have no time limit. It is better to create a timetable in your mind before starting the paper.
- It is better to go through the complete syllabus of MAT 2023 before you start your preparations.
- Solve all your doubts at least 3 months ahead of the exam.
- You should attempt the easy questions first. This will leave time for the hard questions later.
- You can go for full-time coaching if you have time.
- Online coaching will save time for working professionals.
Note that the syllabus for MAT may vary slightly from year to year, and candidates should check the official website of MAT for the latest updates and information.
for more detailed information on MAT exam you can visit https://www.shiksha.com/mba/mat-exam